The Institution of Electronic & Telecommunication Engineers (IETE), Chandigarh Centre was established in 1977 with 15 corporate members initially. The Centre meets the demand of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, J&K & Union Territory, Chandigarh. For the last 34 years, it has come a long way in keeping with electronics & Telecommunication growth in the country. At present, there are approximately 725 members and 850 students members.
The foundation stone of the building of IETE, Chandigarh Centre was laid on 13th December 1993 by HE Shri Surendra Nath, the then Governor of Punjab and Administrator UT, Chandigarh. Another landmark in the history of this centre was laying of the Foundation stone of Seminar-cum-Examination hall on 16th April 2004 by Prof K K Aggarwal, former President, IETE, New Delhi. The Seminar hall was inaugurated by HE Dr A R Kidwai, Governor of Haryana on 05th November 2005.
The centre shifted to its permanent location at sector-30-B, opposite CSIO, Chandigarh in1997 in partially constructed building on one acre land.
The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE), Chandigarh Centre has played key role in providing ample opportunities for career advancement to the professionals of this region. This leading professional centre has been promoting advancement in electronics, telecommunication and information technology education. This Centre has received Best Growth Centre award in the year 2004 and best Centre Award (2nd Prize) in the year 2007
- Provide a forum for discussion on national policies and to provide suitable inputs to policy makers.
- Promote and conduct basic engineering and continuing technical education programmes for human resource development.
- Promote the use of state-of-the-art techniques of instruction.
- Stimulate research and development in the disciplines of electronics, telecommunicatio, computer science & information technology
- Enlarge membership base and provide facilities to members to update their professional skills.
- Bring out quality publications for all levels of readership.
- Honour outstanding professionals.
- Organise resources centres and data bases.
- Facilitate inter-disciplinary interaction with other organizations and individuals within and outside the country.
- Develop the Institution's infrastructure at various centres and expand their activities.
- Undertake socially relevant programmes with Electronics, Telecommunication and IT as tools.
- Celebrate IETE Foundation Day on 02nd November every year on the theme as decided by the Council.
- Celebrate IETE Student’s Day on 01st February every year
- Celebrate World Telecommunication day on 17th May every year
- Organise conferences,symposia, Workshops and brain-storming sessions involving all concerned professionals, students and industry associations for the advancement of the discipline
Chronology of events :
1979 National Seminar on Medical Instrumentation
1980 12th Mid Term Symposiyum (MTS) on Electronic Instrumentation and Control
1981 National Symposium on Electronics through Microprocessor
1983 National Symposium on Rural Development through Electronics
1985 National Symposium on Growth of Electronics in the Region
1986 Land allotted to the centre in Sector 30
1986 National Symposium on Optics and Optoelectronics Instrumentation
1987 National Symposium on Robotics and Automation and its Impact on Industry
1989 National Symposium on Personal Computer based Instruments and Systems
1990 National Symposium on Computer Communication
1991 National Symposium on Electronics and Rural Development
1992 National Symposium on Microelectronic Devices and Fabrication Techniques
1993 National Seminar on Emerging Overlay Network Technologies and Foundation Laying ceremony by HE Governor of Punjab and Chief Administrator UT (Chandigarh)
1995 National Symposium on Communication 2001
1996 Griha Pravesh in own premises
1997 28th Mid Term Symposium on 100 Years of Electron
1999 National Symposium on Information Technologies
2000 National Conference on Automation in Banks & Financial Institutions
2001 32nd Mid Term Symposium on E-Convergence: and Technologies for Disaster Management at Shimla
2002 National Seminar on Instrumentation and Information Technologies for Disabled, Annual Technical Convention on Nano-Technology & Silver Jubilee Celebration /Past Chairmen of Chandigarh Centre honoured
2003 National Symposium on Emerging Trend in Networking & Mobile Communication (NSNM-2003)
2004 National Conference on Opto-electronics and MEMS Technologies and laying of foundation stone of Seminar-Cum-Examination Hall at IETE Chandigarh Centre
2005 National Conference on Emerging Trends in Wireless Technologies (NCETWT-2005) & Inauguration of Seminar-cum Examination Hall by HE Dr A K Kidwai, Governor of Haryana
2007 Zonal Seminar on 3G Networking Optimization and Emerging Communication Technologies (3G-NOECT-07)
2009 40th Mid Term Symposium (MTS) on Information & Communication Technologies for Disaster Management (ICTDM-2009) & Inauguration of EDUSAT System on 02nd November 02, 2009
2010 Apex Forum on Nanotechnology-Emerging Trends in Nanoelectronics on 7th May 2010
2010 The IETE Consultancy and Development Centre (ICDC) was launched at IETE Chandigarh Centre on June 29, 2011
2011 One-Day Interactive Session titled “ICDC - a forum for "Technological Solutions to Industry Problems” was organised on
4thJune 2011 at IETE, Chandigarh Centre